You Are Invited!
CUNY is one of the most important engines of social mobility in the country—and the new Office of Transformation is dedicated to building on this legacy. As the University emerges from the pandemic, and students across the country question whether higher ed matters, we want to work together to ensure that CUNY’s role in transforming our students’ lives is clear to everyone.
The Office of Transformation is hosting a series of CUNY-wide “listening sessions” to solicit feedback from students, faculty and staff on the best ways to support our students as they prepare for their futures. Informed by the work of the CUNY Career Success Fellows, a group of CUNY faculty working together to help our students successfully transition from the classroom to successful careers, we will host four listening sessions for administrators, students, faculty, and employers. Each session will begin with brief presentations, followed by an open forum for your questions, comments, and suggestions.
Our hope is to be able to gather enough insights and ideas to be able to think together about workable ways to intensify our efforts to help our students achieve the futures they desire and deserve.
The series is facilitated by Distinguished Prof. Cathy N. Davidson, Senior Advisor to the Chancellor on Transformation and Founding Director of the Futures Initiative, the CUNY Faculty Career Success Fellows, and Rachel Stephenson, Chief Transformation Officer.
- Thurs, Oct 6, 3-4:00 (RSVP here)
Listening Session 1: Career Services Advisors and Other Career-Engaged Administrators
- A panel of career advisors and other administrators will showcase innovative work being done around CUNY, followed by an open forum for comments, suggestions, and questions.
- Shiang-Kwei Wang, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs at Hostos CC
- Dee Dee Mozeleski, Vice President, Office of Institutional Advancement, Communications & External Relations at CCNY
- Bascillia Toussaint, Director of the Career Exploration & Development Center
- Adjunct Lecturer at the School of Business, Lehman College
- Frederick Burke, Director of the Graduate Career Management Center in the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College; Board of Directors, National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE)
- Tues, Nov 22, 3-4:00
Listening Session 2: Students (RSVP here)
- Four recent CUNY graduates will address the question “What I Wish I Knew Before I Interviewed for ____” from the point of view of job and graduate school interviews in different fields and industries, followed by an open forum for comments, suggestions, and questions.
- Wed, Dec 7, 4-5:00
Listening Session 3: Faculty (RSVP here)
- Four faculty who have spent the year as CUNY Career Success Fellows will briefly discuss their ideas for how to align the content in CUNY coursework, at any level and all fields, with the skills employers prize most: critical thinking, problem solving, professionalism, communication, cross-cultural understanding, technical and quantitative skills. An open forum will then offer attendees the opportunity to offer comments, suggestions, and questions.
- Wed, Feb 8, 4-5:00 (RSVP here)
Listening Session 4: Employers
- We will hear from employers, all CUNY alums, who will discuss what they look for in new employees. An open forum will then follow to hear comments, questions, and suggestions.